1.14.2011

January drifts.

"The shortest day has passed, and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer. Minute by minute they lengthen out. It takes some weeks before we become aware of the change. It is imperceptible even as the growth of a child, as you watch it day by day, until the moment comes when with a start of delighted surprise we realize that we can stay out of doors in a twilight lasting for another quarter of a precious hour."
-Vita Sackville-West

The thermometer currently reads 24 degrees in our coastal town. Combined with the wind that is inevitable this close to the ocean, I don't think that I've been warm in a solid week. (Walking my dog Gracie at 6:30 every morning doesn't help!) I'm already counting down the days until my 80 degree weather returns, but until then, I've compiled a list things on my current favorite things to remind me that life is good, regardless of the windchill.

1. Tall Steve Madden boots.
The "Intyce" style in Cognac. Perfect for the days when I don't feel like wearing the worlds ugliest shoes (Uggs... we have a love/hate relationship) and my jeans or leggings are too skinny to wear my Wallabees (Y'all know what I'm talking about.)

2. Modest Mouse.
I recently rekindled my love for these guys. Go throw on "Float On" and tell me your day doesn't get exponentially better.


3. Sally Hansen's Commander in Chic nail polish.
It's brownish in the sunlight, greyish brownish taupe indoors. I am absolutely addicted.

(photo courtesy of http://never-unpolished.blogspot.com)


4. Burberry Sunglasses.
Mine are the Burberry tortoise 4051's and I absolutely adore them. I couldn't find a picture that does them justice, but my favorite detail is the gold Burberry label on the side.... it resembles the leather ties on my Sperrys & on most boat shoes. Perfect.
5. Story People Prints.
Brian Andreas is an incredible artist and writer that combines these talents to produce books and prints. I own 5 of his books, and just received my 2nd print from my A
unt Julie for Christmas. They're now both frames and hanging in my bathroom! Check his site & his work out here.

6. Lilly Pulitzer Candles.
Every boy that walks into my apartment tells me it smells "just like a girl." I take this as a compliment. These candles smell so amazing that I didn't even want to burn mine, but I think I'm just going to have to stock up instead.
7. Southern Marsh.
This new brand has my seal of frat-proval. Their "About Us" section reads:
"The South is an area of the country that still finds time to escape the hustle and bustle of big city life. Southern Marsh was inspired by that idea and influenced by those who understand the lifestyle as they take it with them everywhere they go. The friends getting up at 4 a.m. to make it to the blind before sunrise, the father cashing in vacation days to go fishing with his family, or the southern belle spending a timeless afternoon with great friends."
Built on the lifestyle that I love the most and with really unique designs, they won me over with their awesome t-shirts... I've already ordered two. They run pretty small, so I'd recommend ordering a size up. Especially if you plan on wearing them with leggings like I do! Check them out here!
(photo and quote courtesy of www.southern-marsh.com)


8. "The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing" by Melissa Bank.
Don't be fooled by the title. This bestseller won't actually give you instructions on the art of killing a prize buck, but I guarantee that the collection of fictional short stories (tied together into a larger plot) will draw you in and make you fall in and out of love up until the feel-good ending. It's extremely relateable and an easy read. Pick up a copy next time you're in Barnes & Noble & let me know what you think.

9. Not having Friday classes this semester.
No explaination necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog through Southern Marsh's facebook- I love love love their long sleeved tees, they're my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...