2.12.2011

February Crushes.

Last week in class a professor asked our class of about twenty students if we had all already made plans for Valentine's Day. He waited about ten seconds, & then burst into uncontrollable laughter. "About half of you began to smile when I asked that question," he said, "and the other half were girls without boyfriends & all of the boys in the room."

Although I laughed at his terrible joke, it made me begin to think about what he was implying. He was generally pretty dead on; most of my friends with boyfriends were building up their dreams of gifts and gestures of love, while most of my single friends planned on binge eating chocolates, playing Taylor Swift on repeat, and boycotting romantic venues on the holiday.

I realize that I may stand alone in this opinion, but I think that it needs to be said. Valentine's Day is a lot of things. But to me it has never been only about romantic love. To be honest, my most memorable Valentine moments haven't been the years where I've had boyfriends. They've been the sweet and unexpected gestures from people who are not just a potentially fleeting fling, but who are the cornerstones of my happiness-- my best guy friends, girl friends, roommates, parents, and even brothers. Love is all around us and I think that we should all embrace it instead of forcing ourselves to set high expectations or to be miserable if we aren't currently IN love.

Enough of the sappy.

Here is an incredibly random assortment of things that I LOVE about Valentine's 2011 from some of my favorite designers and such that will hopefully leave you with a smile.



1. Lilly Pulitzer Murfee Scarf in "First Base"
I am head over heels for this print, & the Murfee scarves are seriously the best. They're the perfect length and weight. I wear them daily with fleeces in the fall, under heavier jackets in the winter, and over tank tops or dresses in the spring.  
Order yours or one for your Valentine (or mine... Momma I know you read this.) for $118.00 here, at Lilly Pulitzer.





2. Love Me Tender Cookie Cutters


People love cookies. People love people who make them cookies.
Grab a set of these for $10.00 here, at Urban Outfitters, and make some love in the kitchen. 





3. Mi Amor Margaritas
I stole this recipe from Cosmo. I haven't tried them yet, but I can guarantee you that I will have by next weekend. If you try this let me know, I'd love feedback! They look like the perfect fun drinks to share with your girlfriends, and they combine chocolate & strawberries... my favorites. 


- 3 parts chocolate milk (store bought or homemade)
- 1 part Sauza Silver Tequila
- 1 part strawberry puree or daiquiri mix
- Chocolate covered strawberry

Combine chilled chocolate milk, Sauza and strawberry puree in a tall glass. Stir vigorously to combine. Pour into a glass and garnish with a chocolate covered strawberry. 



4. Magenta Tory Burch Tumbled 
Leather Reva Ballerina Flats


You don't need a boy to fall in love with when your shoes are this cute. Perfect to wear with any outfit, casual or dressy! & you can wear them all year, with or without tights to match the seasons.


$195.00 from Tory Burch.


5. Biwa's Bounty Cuff by Anthropologie


This bracelet is perfect to transition from later winter into spring. I love the classic aspect of the pearls mixed with the eclectic look of the design. It would look so darling with the lacey/girlie looks that are in all of the stores right now & will go perfectly with your seersucker and sundresses this spring!


$48.00 from Anthropologie.










6. Lilly Pulitzer Dog Collar in "Beach Bum"
Girl's best friend deserves some love too. If you love your dog
as much as I love Grace, you'll fall for this pink and green patter designed by PinkysPetGear on Etsy using Lilly's "Beach Bum" print. Watch out for the preppiest puppy in the neighborhood!

Order one for your dog today for $17.99 here.


*Also, if this collar is too girly for your manly guard dog, she has lots of other patterns to choose from!

7. Boy Crazy Athletic Sleep Shirts 
from Victoria's Secret PINK
Snuggle up in these super soft sleep shirts with messages that will leave no doubt about your interests. Alternate available sayings include:
-"Let's Get a Room."
-"Kiss Kiss Kiss" &
-"Can't Get Enough"

Snag one for yourself or your best friend for $19.50 at Victoria's Secret


8. Dear John..."Sometimes I get the itch to go out for a drink thinking I might miss meeting the woman of my dreams, but then I realize the woman of my dreams isn’t at a bar at 12:36 on a Wednesday morning. No, the woman of my dreams is asleep in bed with her lame boyfriend she’s only now beginning to see is lame. Nice enough guy, but no passion or curiosity. It was cute when he called her babe at first but now it’s just lazy and distant sounding. The woman of my dreams just twitched in her sleep because I mentioned her. The woman of my dreams is not usually twitchy. The woman of my dreams likes Family Guy but doesn’t LOVE Family Guy. The woman of my dreams will engage in conversations that don’t necessarily cater to her in exchange for my moving quickly through the shop talk. The woman of my dreams has to be up at 7am. Maybe the woman of my dreams is at the gym, not the bar. I better get to bed..."- John Mayer

Happy Valentine's Day Y'all! 



1 comment:

  1. That was cute, Amelia! Haha... I want one of those margs. Now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...